Monday, November 10, 2008

Staying busy

We've been keeping quite busy in the last few days. This weekend our friend Judy C had a release show for her new CD "444" at Gulu-Gulu in Salem. We had seen her perform before but never with a complete band so it was a real treat. We also went to the strategy meeting to save the North Shore Birth Center (see post below). We went to the Peabody-Essex Museum to see the latest exhibit that opened this weekend on polar landscapes, which having a desire to visit some polar locations, was awesome to see. I don't think we'll ever get to see Antarctica (partly because I have yet to convince David of the merit of going and partly because it necessitates flying to South America, which counts me out), but we really want to visit Labrador to see icebergs before they all melt, Nunavut, and Great Baffin Island. Not that many people travel north of the Arctic circle, although my crazy brother actually got in the Arctic Ocean barefooted (and no, he couldn't see Russia from there).

We also went to a Kabuki exhibit that David had yet to see, and I took in a movie with friends and went to a book club meeting. We would have been busier but David conveniently fell asleep just before we were supposed to leave to walk to a lecture about the history of women in Salem. And now that I have nothing better to do (like have baby) I'm in the process of making matching felted wool caps for the three of us. We'll see if they get done before the baby arrives. We've been constantly explaining to people that a due date is not an expiration date, but we did honestly think we would have a baby by now after all the fuss that was made about how gigantically tall our baby was. The measurements did level off toward the end, but we do expect some tall kids. (Don't base judgement on my height of 5'4, because I reached that full height at the age of ten. So, while I am a moderately short adult, I was a gigantically tall child.)

That being said, the answer to the ever popular question: "Any baby news?" is no. Though we were given some humorous advice at one of our last midwife appointments: that I should return to eating at least an egg a day for my anemia and that perhaps we should consider having sex twice a day. (This bit of advice was given by the never-been-married-never-had-children midwife in the practice.) I hope that made you laugh out loud, because I certainly did--for at least a full minute. Puh-lease.

This evening we're off to a board game night, and all of this walking around Salem is certainly good for the baby.

2 comments:

Like Doogie said...

Sex twice a day?!?!?!

Geoff better not read this site or he'll be very interested in baby-making ASAP.

Unknown said...

Hello! We met at one of Megan and Geoff's game nights. I was there with my girlfriend, Micky. I found your blog through the link on Megan's blog. I just want to say congratulations! You and David were so sweet. Having met you two only once, I immediately got a good feeling about both of you and think you'll make great parents. I love your blog! :)

Christine
http://calangill.wordpress.com

PS--Is it creepy that I only met you once and I read your blog sometimes? I told Megan I like it and she said I should tell you. :)